Sunday, January 27, 2008

Personal Essay Topic

Choosing a personal essay topic has come to be one of the more difficult tasks i've had recently. Out of all the possibilities, the one that stood out was from the day we brought our own object to class. 
My topic is the miniature marimba keychain given to me after making All-Region band in 7th grade. This is very symbolic of who I am as a person today. I chose this because it was so dear to me and a big turning point in my life. The question I have for my topic is how such an insignificant gift can give me motivation that would craft the rest of my life. I hope to explore this in my paper and the ways competition has both helped and hindered my life.

3 comments:

Kristen H. said...

Aaron,
I think that this is certainly going to be a great topic for you to write your personal essay on. I like this topic for you because, like you said yourself, this topic of your love for music will just flow freely because it represents who you are and what you are interested in! I would recommend for you to clarify on your journey to where you are today. Maybe describe when/ what/ who first led you to music and why you were so taken away by it. Maybe it would be a good idea to inquire why music means so much to you. I would love to read what you feel when you are playing, and the feeling you get when you accomplish a new piece. I scarcely know anything about music, but I believe you can relate to me, and any other reader, if you emphasize your feelings when you accomplish something you have worked hard for. Maybe that will in turn link into a theme. Good luck! I think you are to a great start! 
Your classmate (writerly role),
Kristen

April Patrick said...

Sounds like a great topic to work with! I'm looking forward to reading your draft on Friday!

Chris F said...

Aaron,
I think this is a great topic for you to write about. To me it sounds like you are very passionate about music and obviosly you are sucessful in it. Let your thoughts run freely, and i dont think you will stugglee with this topic at all