Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Artifacts of my Writerly Roles

Write a blog entry reflecting on the following:
- What writerly roles you play
- How your writing stlye, purpose, content, etc. differs from character to character
- What recipients or audiences are assumed in those characters

 After collecting all my writings for this week, I have picked them apart and have been able to analyze my roles as a writer. I have come to find that I have a large amount of writing personalities and different roles, each with their own style. 

First of all, I am a friend. My close friends are who I talk to the most, and the majority of it is texting. For me texting is fast and simple. All rules of grammar and spelling are thrown right out the window. The goal is to get as much information passed along saying the fewest words possible. Looking back on the conversations they seem almost pointless. They begin with one side saying "Hey whats up?" followed by a typical "nothin." No new information was given, and yet it seems necessary to ask. 

This is far from how I act as a student. There are still two parts to me as a student. I am a note taking student, then an assignment completing student. When taking notes I write neatly, but quickly. I sometimes don't have time to write full sentences so I abbreviate. The abbreviations all make sense in my head, but may look like nonsense to any other people. Like "Y = C + I + G + X - M" looks confusing, but I know it means "Gross Domestic Product as expenditures equal the sum of consumption, investment spending, government spending, and exports, minus imports." When do assignments that will be turned in and graded, I use my best writing skills. I use my knowledge of grammar and sentence structure as best as I can. Never do I use slang or profane content.
 
Most importantly, I am a son. My parents and I have a good relationship, and we tend to keep up with each other  and how our lives are going on a daily basis. Most of our communication is done through the phone. In the scarce amount of written communication to my parents, I found my role differs slightly between my mother and my father. My mother is very technologically challenged. She is utterly confused by  the operations of a computer, and texting is as time consuming as a full phone conversation. My writing to her is usually on a question, answer basis. I use complete sentences and appropriate language when her, no slang words. Its usually kept to a maximum of two sentences, or a short phrase such as "I love you." When writing to my dad, my son role is more on business terms. My father and I have many opportunities to lead worship at different churches and since I don't get to see him during the school week we communicate through e-mail. I set up schedules and an order of worship down to the timing. I act very efficiently and professional. Often one of us needs something done. "Can we get twelve copies of the song with the horn charts in a separate folder by Tuesday? Also, I will send you a file of the second song I transposed tomorrow that I'll need five copies of."  Even though he's my father, I must also act as a co-worker. 

No comments: