Monday, January 14, 2008

Letter of Introduction

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Aaron. I hail from Bedford, Texas where I have lived for the majority of my life. This is my first year at TCU and I am enjoying every bit of it. I am currently a business major with aspirations of one day either owning my own recording studio or working as a music producer. While TCU is a wonderful school I am currently waiting to receive an evaluation of my application to Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee. If I am accepted I would study Music Production in there Curb School of Music Business. I've grown up around music and it has crafted who I am today. I learned to play drums at age 6, follow by piano at 8, guitar at 12, and bass at 13. Unlike the typical high school student, I never had a real job. I was very blessed to be able to use my gifts in music to share them with others through worship music as a job at Alliance Community Fellowship and First Baptist Church of Hurst. My friends all thought it was unfair that I got paid to do what I love, even when I would gladly do it for free, but shouldn't everyone feel that way about their job? Now that college came around I have been lead here to TCU. I have come to love this school and friends I have made here. Although I stepped out of the line of every single person in my extended family to attend Baylor University, they are all proud that I picked a place that suits me. 

English has never been my favorite class to take, but it was that way because I did not excel in it. I spend little time practicing my reading and writing outside of what I "have" to.  My hope for this class is that I will learn new information and develop skills to improve my writing. Outside of any classwork, my personal writing consists of emails and music lyrics. I have little confidence in my writing simple because I know my writing is rare. I would like to write a story if I had the time. I have a big imagination but a very difficult time conveying those stories through writing. Poetry and lyrical writing are my favorite types of writing because of their loose form and freedom. I dislike writing abstracts or research papers simply because it bores me to write about other peoples ideas and information. My sister is a writing fanatic and it always bugged her how my poor my writing was in middle school. Although it still isn't great, my sister has influence the way I right for the better. With practice and teaching I know i can improve my writing. I am excited to be in this class and am really looking forward to becoming a better writer. 

I have read and agreed to the terms of the course syllabus. 

1 comment:

April Patrick said...

I'm glad to have you in class. It's good to hear you already like some forms of writing. Hopefully, you learn to enjoy some other forms if you're writing about topics that interest you. See you in class!